Friday 5 March 2010

of entropy

Just as the sun was starting to curl up for the night, I was driving from Caersws back home and decided to take a road that I hadn't travelled or investigated for many years, going through Bethel and Bwlch Y Garreg, to where I thought I was going to end up, Tregynon. About 10 years ago I lived up that way in an Observatory, a wonderful and peaceful place. Driving past various farms you always see interesting things, and today the sight of hundreds of Starlings all lined up along the side of the road brought the largest smile to my already lined face.


After many stretching hillsides and gravity defying stone walls I ended up, too my surprise, at a Nature Reserve called Llyn Mawr, or Boggy Heaven. This particular nature reserve is about two Miles from the nearest main road and just a tad north of an old courthouse I used to live in called Neaudd Newydd, and it is without a doubt the most peaceful and relaxing spot that I have come across.


Walking down to the lake I was met by the sights and sounds of Curlews, Rams, and Aberdeen Angus, I believe one was actually giving birth, but most interesting to me was the slight crackling that was becoming more apparent the closer I came to the water. I started running to the shoreline in childish excitement, the best kind of excitement, to be met by what I can only describe as the most fascinating and joyous phenomena that one could ever wish to witness.


I ran back to the car to get my recording equipment (earlier on in the day I had been recording at the Hafren Forest) and by the time I got back to the shoreline the wind had increased to such an extent that cascades of ice were piling ontop of one another. The friction, beginning with the movement of wind and water, creating hordes of delicate patterns all around the edge of the lake.


The atmosphere around Llyn Mawr was balanced in a state of poetic equilibrium, a fleeting series of ectones, by the time I left the shore the ice had whispered away to almost nothing. A sound not unlike wind through trees.